Click here to look up Tax Information
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
NEW: A secure drop box is available for tax payments at the top of the new handicap ramp.
Real Property Taxes
- The tax rate for fiscal year 2014-2015 will remain $0.52 per $100.00 of valuation.
- Real property taxes are due September 1 each year. You have through January 5th to pay without interest. If the 5th falls on a weekend, you have through the next business day. Interest starts January 6th with 2% the first month and 3/4% each month thereafter until paid.
- Tax bills are mailed to the January 1 property owner even if the property is sold during the year.
- Taxpayers are allowed to make prepayments to their accounts for real property anytime during the year.
- Delinquent taxes are required to be advertised in the name of the owner as of the date the taxes became delinquent.
Property owners: Please contact the tax office when a change in your mailing address occurs.
- The tax rate for autos is the same as for property.
- Interest will be added 1st day of month following due date.
- 5% interest charged the first month
- 3/4% interest charged each month thereafter until paid.
NEW: Beginning September 1, 2013, your auto taxes will be included
on your tag renewal statement. For more info, Click here: http://ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle/tagtax/
PLEASE NOTE: Unpaid Vehicle tax bills and Personal Property tax bills over 4 years old will be sent to a Collection Agency and may be reported to the Credit Reporting Agencies to be listed in your credit file. Personal Property may include Mobile Homes, Boats, Unregistered Motor Vehicles, Aircraft and/or Business Assets. Unpaid Real Property tax bills over 4 years old will be sent to the Foreclosure Officer to process a Judgment of Foreclosure.
- Pay your taxes online!
- Current Tax Sales
- 2013 Delinquent Tax Liens
(Unpaid Taxes as of April 14, 2014)
2013 Tax Liens were advertised in the April 16, 2014 edition of The Cherokee Scout.
Please note that many of these taxes have since been paid. Call the Tax Office to verify if payment has been made. Or Click here to look up Tax Information online.