Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
NEW: A secure drop box is available for tax payments at the top of the new handicap ramp.
Real Property Taxes
- The tax rate for fiscal year 2012-2013 is $0.52 per $100.00 of valuation.
- Real property taxes are due September 1 each year. You have through January 5th to pay without interest. If the 5th falls on a weekend, you have through the next business day. Interest starts January 6th with 2% the first month and 3/4% each month thereafter until paid.
- Tax bills are mailed to the January 1 property owner even if the property is sold during the year.
- Taxpayers are allowed to make prepayments to their accounts for real property anytime during the year.
- Delinquent taxes are required to be advertised in the name of the owner as of the date the taxes became delinquent.
Property owners: Please contact the tax office when a change in your mailing address occurs.
- The tax rate for autos is the same as for property.
- Interest will be added 1st day of month following due date.
- 5% interest charged the first month
- 3/4% interest charged each month thereafter until paid.
NEW: Beginning July 1, 2013, your auto taxes will be included
on your tag renewal statement. For more info, Click here: http://ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle/tagtax/
PLEASE NOTE: Unpaid Vehicle tax bills and Personal Property tax bills over 4 years old will be sent to a Collection Agency and may be reported to the Credit Reporting Agencies to be listed in your credit file. Personal Property may include Mobile Homes, Boats, Unregistered Motor Vehicles, Aircraft and/or Business Assets. Unpaid Real Property tax bills over 4 years old will be sent to the Foreclosure Officer to process a Judgment of Foreclosure.