Click here to look up Tax Information
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
Real Property Taxes:
- The tax rate for fiscal year 2015-2016 will remain $0.52 per $100.00 of valuation.
- Real property taxes are due September 1 each year. You have through January 5th to pay without interest. If the 5th falls on a weekend, you have through the next business day. Interest starts January 6th with 2% the first month and 3/4% each month thereafter until paid.
- Tax bills are mailed to the January 1 property owner even if the property is sold during the year.
- Taxpayers are allowed to make prepayments to their accounts for real property anytime during the year.
- Delinquent taxes are required to be advertised in the name of the owner as of the date the taxes became delinquent.
Property owners: Please notify the tax office when a change in your mailing address occurs.
NEW: A secure drop box is available for tax payments at the top of the handicap ramp on the side of the Courthouse.
NEW: Since September 1, 2013, your auto taxes have been included on your tag renewal statement. For more info on Tag and Tax Together, Click here: http://ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle/tagtax/
- The tax rate for autos is the same as for property.
- 5% interest charged the first month
- 3/4% interest charged each month thereafter until paid.
PLEASE NOTE: Unpaid Vehicle tax bills and Personal Property tax bills over 4 years old will be sent to a Collection Agency and may be reported to the Credit Reporting Agencies to be listed in your credit file. Personal Property may include Mobile Homes, Boats, Unregistered Motor Vehicles, Aircraft and/or Business Assets. Unpaid Real Property tax bills over 4 years old will be sent to the Foreclosure Officer to process a Judgment of Foreclosure.
- Pay your taxes online!
(Please Note: There is a Processing Fee of 2.7% for this service. You will be asked to agree to the fee amount before finalizing the transaction.)
- In Rem Foreclosure Process
- Current Tax Sales
- 2014 Delinquent Tax Liens
(Unpaid Taxes as of 3:00 pm April 13, 2015)
2014 Tax Liens were advertised in the April 15, 2015 edition of The Cherokee Scout.
Please note that many of these taxes may have been paid since publishing. Call the Tax Office to verify if payment has been made. Or Click here to look up Tax Information online.