Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
Real Property Taxes:
- The tax rate for fiscal year 2016-2017 will remain $0.52 per $100.00 of valuation.
- Property Tax bills are mailed in August and are due by September 1 each year. These bills must be paid by January 5th of the following year to avoid interest and additional penalties. If the 5th falls on a weekend, you have through the next business day. After January 5 all past due accounts are assessed an interest charge of 2% on January 6 and an additional 0.75% is added on the 1st day of each month thereafter until the bill is paid in full.
- Property Tax bills are mailed to the January 1 property owner even if the property is sold during the year.
- Transfer Letters/New Owner Letters are mailed to new owners only if there is a balance due on the taxes.
- Taxpayers are allowed to make prepayments to their accounts for real property anytime during the year.
- Delinquent taxes are required to be advertised in the name of the owner as of the date the taxes became delinquent.
During the month of April all unpaid real estate taxes will be advertised in the newspaper and an advertising fee is added to the unpaid bill. Enforced collections may begin at any time after bills 1st become delinquent. Legal remedies of collection may include:
- Garnishment of wages or rents
- Attachment of bank accounts
- Debt setoff of NC Income tax refunds
- Debt setoff of NC Lottery winnings
- Levy on rents and/or other money due you
- Seizure of vehicle or other personal property
PLEASE NOTE: Unpaid Vehicle tax bills and Personal Property tax bills over 4 years old will be sent to a Collection Agency and may be reported to the Credit Reporting Agencies to be listed in your credit file. Personal Property may include Mobile Homes, Boats, Unregistered Motor Vehicles, Aircraft and/or Business Assets. Unpaid Real Property tax bills over 4 years old will be sent to the Foreclosure Officer to process a Judgment of Foreclosure.
Property owners: Please notify the tax office when a change in your mailing address occurs.
NOTE: A secure drop box is available for tax payments at the top of the handicap ramp on the side of the Courthouse.
Since September 1, 2013, your auto taxes have been included on your tag renewal statement. For more info on Tag and Tax Together, Click here: http://ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle/tagtax/
The tax rate for vehicles is the same as for property.
- 5% interest is charged the first month
- .75% interest is charged each month thereafter until paid.
- Click HERE to look up Tax Information
- Click HERE to Pay your taxes online or call 866-416-8031
(There will be a Processing Fee of 2.7% for this service. You will be asked to agree to the fee amount before finalizing the transaction.)
- In Rem Foreclosure Process
- Current Tax Sales
- 2015 Delinquent Tax Liens
(Unpaid Taxes as of 2:00 pm April 11, 2016)
2015 Tax Liens were advertised in the April 13, 2016 edition of The Cherokee Scout.
Please note that many of these taxes may have been paid since publishing. Call the Tax Office to verify if payment has been made. Or Click here to look up Tax Information online.