Skip to page body Home About Cherokee County Online Services Departments Residents I want to…

There is no charge for a Burn Permit. Burning Laws are enforced by the North Carolina Department of Air Quality. Permits are administered by the NC Department of Forestry. 

You must obtain and follow the rules and regulations on the Burn Permit or you can be cited. Burn Permits are required in Cherokee County for residential burning beyond 100 feet of a residential structure. You can obtain a Burn Permit online or visit one of the Burn Permit Agents listed below.

Cherokee and Clay County Burning Permit Agents:

Agent Community Phone #
Clay’s Corner Brasstown 837-3797 
Grave’s Grocery Hanging Dog 837-1575 
Raper’s Store Liberty  494-5075 
USDA Farm Service Center Murphy 837-2721
USDA Forest Service Murphy 837-5152
NC Dept Forest Resources  Peachtree 837-5426
Ranger Convenience Citgo  Ranger 837-2016
Mason’s Colonial Store  Topton 321-4107

Clay County

Agent Community Phone #
Clay’s Corner Brasstown 837-3797
Clay Soil and Water Conservation Hayesville 389-9764
Duncan Oil Company (Big D Hilltop) Hayesville 389-6221
Emergency Management Services Hayesville 389-8869
NC Cooperative Extension Service Hayesville 389-6305
Lee’s Country Store Hayesville 389-6465
Pappy’s One Stop  Shooting Creek 389-1252
Warne Kwik Stop Warne 389-3969

Burning Permits ONLINE:   Go to the column on the right side of the web page and click on Burning Permits. Fill out the form and follow all their rules carefully.

Burning of any materials other than leaves, small branches and yard vegetation is strictly prohibited by NC Division of Air Quality laws. The Fire Marshal’s Office has no jurisdiction over the burning of unlawful materials.

All burning areas must be well cleared and actively supervised at all times (you must stay at the site).

Burning without a permit is never allowed unless:

  • Burning is started and completed between the hours of 4 p.m. and midnight and
  • Burning is located more than 500 feet from any woodland area and
  • Burning is located within 100 feet of an occupied dwelling.

* County Fire Marshal and/or city/town ordinances may apply to burning that could otherwise be legal under the NC DFR regulations.
* In the event of a burning ban or cancellation of burning permits, NC DFR will notify all burning permit agents.

NC Division of Air Quality: Open Burning


Last updated: 8/18/2011 2:25:40 PM