- Social Services
The Cherokee County Department of Social Services provides the residents of Cherokee County with Federal and State mandated Human Services. The mission of this Department, as set forth by the County Commissioners, is "to serve the citizens of Cherokee County efficiently and effectively with compassionate and positive attitudes in order to enable these citizens to realize the need to strive for self-sufficiency which in turn fosters a more positive self-image, thus improving their quality of life."
Need health insurance? Don’t miss out. You have a chance to enroll in health coverage. For more information, visit HealthCare.gov or call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596.
On October 1, 2013 the Department of Health and Human Services deployed a new web-based tool called ePASS, which allows individuals to screen themselves for Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) and Medicaid/NC Health Choice benefits. Applicants can apply for FNS or Medicaid/NC Health Choice benefits online by using the ePASS website. Applicants can also apply for FNS and Medicaid/NC Health Choice by completing a paper application and mailing to the Cherokee County Department of Social Services. The FNS application is DSS-8207 (PDF). The Medicaid/NC Health Choice application is DMA-5200 (PDF) or DMA-5201 (PDF) (single individuals with no other household member). If applying by mail please make sure to sign your application, as unsigned applications will not be accepted.
Affordable Care Act
Individuals can apply online for the Affordable Care Act by using the Health Insurance Marketplace. If you don't know where to start, you can also call 1-855-733-3711 or visit NC Navigator for further assistance.
Get a brief description of each program and its eligibility requirements:
- North Carolina Division of Social Services
- Children's Services
- Adult Social Services
- Economic Services
- Adult Medicaid
- Carolina Access
- Child Care Services
- Crisis Program
- Food and Nutrition Program
- LIEAP (Low Income Energy Assistance Program)
- Medicaid to Families and Children
- North Carolina Health Choice for Children
- Program Integrity or Fraud Investigation
- TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
- Work First Employment Services
- Child Support Enforcement
- Youth Employment Certificates: You are no longer required to go through Social Services for a youth employment certificate. Find more information, or apply for a youth employment certificate through the Department of Labor.