The historical Cherokee County Courthouse was built in 1927, after a fire destroyed the previous brick courthouse on January 16, 1926. The Classical Revival Style courthouse was designed by architect James J. Baldwin, and built by James Fanning, Incorporated. The cost of construction was $200,000. The courthouse is constructed of Blue Marble that was actually quarried locally in the Marble community of Cherokee County.
The Cherokee County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Cherokee County has had 4 previous courthouses; three of them were burned. The Cherokee County Courthouse will soon undergo a long overdue renovation and expansion project. Please follow the progress under News & Updates.