Information Required for Residential Permit Application

The following documents are required for residential permit applications:

  • Copy of written approval by the Cherokee County Department of Environmental Health for a septic & well system, and/or copy of written approval from town or service district to connect to a water & sewer system
  • If it applies, copy of written zoning approval from the required town official or district
  • One full set of plans with sufficient clarity and detail to indicate the nature and character of the work, preferably drawn to scale, with each room labeled as to its use, i.e. bedroom, bathroom, etc., with square footage of new construction, including the name, address and signature of the person responsible for the design
  • A Notice of Lien Agent is required for all Residential projects over $30,000 (unless owner remodel or addition). Go to the Liens NC website for information and to register to obtain the form. This includes detached garages, storage buildings or any structure that will cost more than $30,000 to build.
  • A 911 address is required before issuance of a building permit for Residential building construction

Please be prepared to give detailed driving directions to the property from Downtown Murphy.

Property Near Water

If the property is located near any rivers, lakes, streams, or creeks, contact this department prior to the permit application. Floodplain and/or Watershed Ordinance regulations may apply.

New Project with Distribution

If 1 acre or more will be disturbed for this project, a copy of written approval from NCDENR shall be required prior to the permit application.

Permit Application Worksheet

A Permit Application Worksheet (PDF) is available for your convenience to expedite the permitting process. 

For residential accessory buildings such as garages, carports, workshops and storage buildings not attached to the primary dwelling, please use the Residential Application Worksheet (PDF). For all other miscellaneous permits such as but not limited to propane tank and line work, water heater installation, heat pump or HVAC system work, electrical and plumbing work, again please use the Residential Application Worksheet.


Please see the permit fee schedule (PDF) for current permit fees.